World Greenhouse Facts

In 1980 there was an estimate 155,000 hectares under glass or plastic worldwide

Estimated area of glass and plastic structures in the world (Germing,1986)

  Country Hectares   Country Hectares  
  Algeria 100   Netherlands 9000  
  Australia 1200   New Zealand 200  
  Austria 385   Norway 225  
  Belgium 1900   Poland 2600  
  Canada* 400   Romania 6300  
  China 13130   Saudi Arabia 80  
  Cyprus 300   Spain 12150  
  Denmark 400   Sweden 340  
  Finland 350   Switzerland 180  
  Germany 4770   Tunisia 1050  
  Greece 3100   Turkey 9000  
  Hungary 2850   United Kingdom 2660  
  Iceland 15   USA 4000  
  Ireland 200   USSR 6900  
  Israel 400   Yugoslavia 560  
  Italy 17000        
  Japan 27300   India ?? unknown  
  Korea (south) 1300        
  Morocco 660        

By 1995 the surface area has increased to 280,000 hectares. 2000 estimates suggest 370,000 hectares with 41,000 hectares under glass and 266,000 under plastic. Worldwide vegetables and crops are grown in 65% of the greenhouses with ornamentals in the remaining 35%.

Canada's Producers

* 2002

  Province Hectares Comments  
  Ontario 613    
  British Columbia 306 In 2002 British Columbia produced 250,513,000 pounds with a farm gate value of $305,557,000  
  Quebec 241    
  Alberta 109 The gross revenue generated by the Alberta greenhouse industry in 2000 was estimated at about $98 million, with an investment or total value of assets of about $225 million.  
  Top 4 Total 1270    

This is a 300% increase over 1986 figures. If estimates included all Canadian provinces the figure would be higher. If we apply this figure to the word of 2008 there are an estimated 393,500 hectares under production.

Global Increases

  Country 1986 Hectares 2008 estimates   Country 1986 Hectares 2008 estimates
  Algeria 100 300   Netherlands 9000 27000
  Australia 1200 3600   New Zealand 200 600
  Austria 385 1155   Norway 225 675
  Belgium 1900 5700   Poland 2600 7800
  Canada* 400 1200   Romania 6300 18900
  China 13130 39390   Saudi Arabia 80 240
  Cyprus 300 900   Spain 12150 36450
  Denmark 400 1200   Sweden 340 1020
  Finland 350 1050   Switzerland 180 540
  Germany 4770 14310   Tunisia 1050 3150
  Greece 3100 9300   Turkey 9000 27000
  Hungary 2850 8550   United Kingdom 2660 7980
  Iceland 15 45   USA 4000 12000
  Ireland 200 600   USSR 6900 20700
  Israel 400 1200   Yugoslavia 560 1680
  Italy 17000 51000    
  Japan 27300 81900   India ??? 200
  Korea (south) 1300 3900    
  Morocco 660 1980    
 
  World Total 131005 393015
               

In the 1986 study Germing only estimated the greenhouse production areas for 38 countries. We feel that we can safely estimate global hectares at closer to 500,000 in 2008 with this number increasing at a steady rate as consumer demands grow.

India's Production

As of 2008 India had approximately 200 hectares under greenhouse cultivation. Greenhouse cultivation offers 10 times higher productivity than in open-air cultivation and this sector will grow by leaps and bounds in the next few years as new technologies are adotpted to meet the need to fill the tummies of India.

Floriculture is an industry which has tremendous potential in India. The different types of climatic conditions provide for the possibility of growing almost all the major cut flower species of the world, either from tropical, subtropical or temperate climate origin.

The demand for traditional flowers for religious purposes is quite large, especially around the temple towns. The production, harvesting and marketing of traditional flowers for local marketing are typical women's activities. However these flowers are produced in open field conditions mostly during the mild winter months without use of any advanced technology. As a result the quality and the quantity available for marketing are quiet heterogeneous and vary according to the prevailing weather conditions.

 

   
© Iris Solar Systems
DMC Firewall is developed by Dean Marshall Consultancy Ltd